Thursday, February 15, 2007

Country Roads

Is there a song that makes you cry? And NOT because the song is sad. I was thinking (VERY DANGEROUS..lol) about my dad this morning, and about a song that makes me sad every time I hear it.

My mom and dad's 50th Wedding anniversary was June 10th 1999. We were having a big ole' party for them (my brothers and sister planned it and we were holding it at the stake center). I was on my way to their house in California from Oregon. Joshua was with his grandma, and I was taking Dallin with me and Jared was in front of me, in his Semi-Truck. He had to deliver something in Salt Lake and we were traveling together to that point.Jared pulls over and I follow. And he comes walking up to my window and I could tell something was wrong. Before he could say anything I said "Is something wrong with Joshua?" and he couldn't speak, he just shook his head. The next words out of my mouth were "My dad's dead isn't he". And he nodded.

I hadn't seen my dad in months, and I was ON MY WAY to their house! If he would have died the next day I would have been there! Or if I would have left a day earlier I could have seen him one last time.So everytime I hear the song "Country Roads" I cry because of this line "Driving down the road I had a feeling that I should have been home yesterday, yesterday."

Take Me Home, Country Roads
(John Denver)

Almost heaven, West Virginia
Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Life is old there, older than the trees
Younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze
Country roads, take me home
To the place, I be-long
West Virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, Country Roads
All my mem'ries, gather 'round her
Miner's lady, stranger to blue water
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky
Misty taste of moonshine, teardrops in my eyes
Country roads, take me homeTo the place, I be-long
West Virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, Country Roads
I hear her voice, in the mornin' hours she calls to me
The radio reminds me of my home far a-way
And drivin' down the road I get a feeling'That I should have been home yesterday, yesterday
Country roads, take me home
To the place, I be-long
West Virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, Country Roads

So is there a song that makes you sad for unapparent reasons?

2 comments:

Victoria said...

{{{{HUGS}}}}} my friend, love ya!

Heidi said...

oh my GOSH! I had a very similar thing happen w/ my grandpa - but I don't have a sad song to relate it to...maybe every time I hear the theme from the Godfather? LOL!

What a sad story! That's so peculiar how things like that happen! What a tough thing to get over!